[Samba] Upgrading Samba 4 server [SEC=UNOFFICIAL]

Denis Cardon dcardon at tranquil.it
Fri May 4 06:52:21 UTC 2018

Hi Russel,

> I am running several small networks with Samba 4 acting as AD/DC.
>
> I want to upgrade the OS and Samba on the older servers. But I understand that to upgrade the OS, I need to do a new install (at least to get from Centos 6 to 7). I don't have the luxury of new hardware, so creating a secondary DC and taking over from PDC is not an option.
>
> These are small networks so recreating the data should be relatively trivial. But I need the process to be transparent to the users and to Windows.
>
> My idea is to:
>
> Remove all PCs from domain
> Install the latest CentOS and Samba 4 (new hard drive) on the server using the same host name, ip and domain name as before.
> Recreate users.
> Rejoin all PCs to domain.
>
> Will windows recognise the recreated domain user accounts as being the same as the old accounts?
>
> Is this approach feasible?
>
> I would appreciate any hints.

like Nortbert was saying, you can have a small computer as you temporary
server, or a even a virtual box VM on your computer.

If this is not an option, you can keep a copy of /etc/samba/smb.conf
file and /var/lib/samba/private directory and copy them over to your new
installation. Samba will upgrade the database on first startup. Remember
to make a dbcheck --cross-ncs after upgrade.

Cheers,

Denis

--
Denis Cardon