[Samba] Upgrading Samba 4 server [SEC=UNOFFICIAL]

Norbert Hanke norbert.hanke at gmx.ch
Fri May 4 06:01:52 UTC 2018

Hi Russell,

Using extra hardware definitely helps to do such upgrades transparent to
the users: add an additional DC, transfer FSMO roles there, demote old
DC on existing server, upgrade or reinstall existing server, add as DC,
transfer FSMO roles, demote temporary DC.

Even the smallest budget can afford a Raspberry Pi, which works very
well to host Samba for a small network.It is not a luxury.

In my case I have DCs running on Debian/Raspbian, it is very stable. You
could try CentOS on RPi, but I don't know how well it works. I was only
partially successful with Fedora on RPi, which is not very different
from CentOS, but it might be related to my lack of experience with Fedora.

regards,
Norbert