[Samba] dhcp lease time hardware in script at dhcpd/Bind/Samba wiki page

Sebastian Arcus s.arcus at open-t.co.uk
Thu Mar 29 15:24:32 UTC 2018

> On Thu, 29 Mar 2018 15:01:26 +0100
> Sebastian Arcus via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:
>
>> There seems to be a slight issue with the instructions at the
>> following wiki page:
>>
>> https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Configure_DHCP_to_update_DNS_records_with_BIND9
>>
>> The /usr/local/bin/dhcp-dyndns.sh script seems to use a hardwired
>> value for the lease expiry time of 3600 - independent of whatever is
>> configured in dhcpd.conf. With the examples provided, it should work,
>> as the example dhcpd.conf uses 1800 for lease expiry time - so dhcpd
>> will try to renew the lease before it actually expires. However, when
>> I implemented the script, I didn't notice that the lease time is
>> hardwired in the dhcp-dyndns.sh script - so I've set a higher value
>> in dhcpd.conf. This seems to have caused all sorts of strange
>> behaviour, as Bind/samba_dlz were expiring leases and dhcpd wasn't
>> renewing them - thinking they are still valid.
>>
>> Would it be possible to pass the max lease time value from dhcpd.conf
>> to the dhcp-dyndns.sh script somehow? I would have made a suggestion
>> myself, but for the life of me I can't find anywhere on the net a
>> reference of standard variable which can be used in dhcpd.conf.
>>
>> If the above is not possible, maybe a max-lease-time variable should
>> be placed at the top of the dhcp-dyndns.sh script. so that at least
>> it is obvious that this is set again in this script, and not carried
>> over from dhcpd.conf?
>>

> You could try adding something like this near to the top of
> dhcp-dyndns.sh:
>
> TTL=$(cat /etc/dhcp/dhcpd.conf | grep 'max-lease-time' | awk -F ';'
> '{print $1}' | awk '{print $NF}')
>
> Then replace the '3600' with '$TTL'

Thank you for that! I take it there is no corresponding variable, which
can be used as an argument in dhcpd.conf when calling dhcp-dyndns.sh?

Also, I discovered another typo on the wiki page - which was actually a
bit of a pain to track down. On the following line:

rzone=$(echo ${ip} | awk -F '.' '{print $3"."$2"."$1".in-addr.arpa"}’)

The last quote should be a single quote, but it is actually a backtick.

I can report that on Slackware-current with dhcpd 4.4.1, the extra
setting suggested to set the rzone is necessary - otherwise Bind tries
to use a B class reverse zone instead of a C one and complains that it
isn't authoritative for it:

updating zone '168.192.IN-ADDR.ARPA/IN': update failed: not
authoritative for update zone (NOTAUTH)

I have other Slackware servers with dhcpd 4.3.6 and 4.3.4 - and those
are happy without the rzone line.