[Samba] dhcp lease time hardware in script at dhcpd/Bind/Samba wiki page

Sebastian Arcus s.arcus at open-t.co.uk
Thu Mar 29 14:01:26 UTC 2018

There seems to be a slight issue with the instructions at the following
wiki page:

https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Configure_DHCP_to_update_DNS_records_with_BIND9

The /usr/local/bin/dhcp-dyndns.sh script seems to use a hardwired value
for the lease expiry time of 3600 - independent of whatever is
configured in dhcpd.conf. With the examples provided, it should work, as
the example dhcpd.conf uses 1800 for lease expiry time - so dhcpd will
try to renew the lease before it actually expires. However, when I
implemented the script, I didn't notice that the lease time is hardwired
in the dhcp-dyndns.sh script - so I've set a higher value in dhcpd.conf.
This seems to have caused all sorts of strange behaviour, as
Bind/samba_dlz were expiring leases and dhcpd wasn't renewing them -
thinking they are still valid.

Would it be possible to pass the max lease time value from dhcpd.conf to
the dhcp-dyndns.sh script somehow? I would have made a suggestion
myself, but for the life of me I can't find anywhere on the net a
reference of standard variable which can be used in dhcpd.conf.

If the above is not possible, maybe a max-lease-time variable should be
placed at the top of the dhcp-dyndns.sh script. so that at least it is
obvious that this is set again in this script, and not carried over from
dhcpd.conf?