[Samba] freeradius + NTLM + samba AD 4.5.x

Kacper Wirski kacper.wirski at gmail.com
Mon Mar 26 13:27:02 UTC 2018

It is an issue that I myself would also like to solve.
I found multiple threads in samba and freeradius mailing lists. It seems
that every couple of months there is question like this either here on
FR mailing list and all point down to the same issue, that is:
freeradius uses ntlm_auth (even when using winbind with newer freeradius
versions, it also in the end uses ntlm_auth). And since mschapv2 is
needed for eap-peap, and it has to use ntlmv1.
The only solution that I read about, but not actually tested is in this
old thread:
https://lists.samba.org/archive/samba/2012-March/166496.html

I'm not sure if it works, or is there some other workaround. As far as I
understand there is a special "flag" that can be send with freeradius,
that will force ntlmv1-mschpav2 response from AD DC even if ntlmv1 is
overall disabled, that is how supposedly Microsoft solved it with their
ad/nps implementation..

Maybe someone here wil have better advice?

Regards,
Kacper Wirski