[Samba] [OT?] Strangeness on clients migrating NT -> AD...

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Thu Mar 22 10:27:50 UTC 2018

On Thu, 22 Mar 2018 11:14:52 +0100
Marco Gaiarin via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> Mandi! Rowland Penny via samba
>   In chel di` si favelave...
>
> > How is the 'old' server now set up ?
> > Is it now an AD DC domain member ?
>
> No, it remain in the old state, simply we have a tool that keep in
> sync passwords, so access works to the old server because users and
> password matches.

So, it sounds like you have a PDC for the domain 'DOMAIN' and an AD DC
for the domain 'DOMAIN' both using the same SID, I don't think this is
going to work. I suggest you turn the old PDC off.

> > It sounds like the machines are still looking for the old PDC. How
> > do the win7 machines get their IP etc, or to put it another way, is
> > DNS set up correctly ?
>
> We have keep unchanged our DNS and DHCP setup: machines got dns as in
> previous configuration, the (old) dns simply forward requests to the
> AD domain subzones.

Your win7 machines should be using the AD DC as their dns server.

> DNS seems to work as expected. On win7 box, event viewer seems to have
> useful info...

If event viewer does have useful info, what is it ?

Rowland