[Samba] Dealing with permission inheritance for CIFS Windows and NFS Linux clients accessing same data

Ken McDonald ken at generation.tech
Mon Mar 19 04:16:50 UTC 2018

How can I best handle file & directory permissions & inheritance when
accessing the same data on a remote server from Windows clients through
a CIFS share and Linux clients through an NFS export?

I have Samba AD working and I believe Winbind is working because when I
check permissions from the command line, whether locally on the server
or a remote Linux client, with ls, getfacl, getfattr, nfs4_getfacl, or
nfs4_getfattr, I can see Samba AD usernames and groups.

For example:

1) I set permissions from a remote Windows client on a remote top-level
directory (mapped through CIFS to a server share)

2) If on the Windows client, I create subdirectories & files, the
inherited permissions ARE the same as the top-level (inherited correctly
as expected)

3) But if on a remote Linux Mint client (with a local directory mounted
from a remote NFS4 export on the server -- same directory as CIFS
share), I create subdirectories & files, the inherited permissions are
NOT the same as the top-level

Is it even possible to get relatively the same inheritance behavior from
CIFS & NFS4 accessing the same data?

This is the top-level directory
https://i.imgur.com/dLgfoS8.png
Good perms inherited by Windows-made CIFS file
https://i.imgur.com/ls9jcZy.png
Bad perms inherited by Linux-made NFS4 file
https://i.imgur.com/c8LXxOA.png