[Samba] Demoted dc not completely demoted, maybe?

Robert Wooden bob at donelsontrophy.com
Fri Mar 16 14:59:51 UTC 2018

To close this thread (I think) just in case someone else ran into the same
type of problem, here is what I did and did not do.

This may not have been the correct course of action but here's what
happened.

I did nothing for a week. This morning, returned to resolve this issue.

I ran "samba-tool dbcheck --cross-ncs" and found I had some errors. Ran "
samba-tool dbcheck --cross-ncs  --fix", answered "yes" to the issues listed.

I then went back and ran " ldbsearch -H /usr/local/samba/private/sam.ldb
--cross-ncs --show-binary -b 'DC=samdom.example.com,CN=MicrosoftDNS,DC=
DomainDnsZones,DC=samdom,DC=example,DC=com'
-s sub '(&(objectClass=dnsNode)(DC=@))' " and it now references all the
current DC's and the demoted DC is not to be found.

I had to "go back" to check but, it appears that the demote DC and it's
related DNS issue has corrected itself.

I will check again but, I think my problem may be resolved. Time will tell
the truth.

(I am reserving the right to tag this as resolved until I am sure.)

On Fri, Mar 9, 2018 at 10:09 AM, Rowland Penny via samba <
samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> On Fri, 9 Mar 2018 10:01:02 -0600
> Robert Wooden <bob at donelsontrophy.com> wrote:
>
> > I Google searched this morning and had found this:  "
> > https://superuser.com/questions/1281015/changing-
> computer-name-on-dns-samba4-ad-server"
> > which discusses a similarity to your suggestion.
> >
> > I was concerned because I cannot tell if the OP is referencing
> > 'internal dns' or 'bind9'. However, what the OP is talking about
> > doing, makes sense.
> >
> > (Could be later today before I can get back to this. Hopefully
> > leaving the SOA as is for the moment is not doing me any serious
> > non-repairable damage. I have to get some "work" done.)
> >

> It doesn't matter if is an 'internal' or 'Bind9' dns server, they both
> use the same info in AD.
>
> As long as everything is working, you can safely wait until you have
> some 'dead' time ;-)
>
> Rowland
>

> --

Thank you.