[Samba] Upgrading a ctdb cluster: samba not listening on TCP port 445

Martin Schwenke martin at meltin.net
Thu Mar 15 09:22:31 UTC 2018

On Tue, 6 Feb 2018 16:07:16 +1100, Martin Schwenke via samba
<samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> Hi Nicolas,
>
> On Mon, 5 Feb 2018 13:43:33 +0100, Nicolas Zuber
> <n.zuber at physik.uni-stuttgart.de> wrote:
>
> > Am Fr 02.02.2018 um 10:27 schrieb Martin Schwenke:
> > > On Thu, 1 Feb 2018 13:11:58 +0100, Nicolas Zuber via samba
> > > <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:
> > >
>  [...]
> > >
> > > Now the guesses get more esoteric.  :-)
> > >
> > > What do you see if you run "ss -tlnp src :445" as root?
> > >
> > > I see smbd listening on both IPv4 and IPv6:
> > >
> > > LISTEN     0      50
> > > *:445                                  *:*
> > > users:(("smbd",pid=2315,fd=36)) LISTEN     0
> > > 50                      :::445                                 :::*
> > > users:(("smbd",pid=2315,fd=34))
> > >
> > > If you see smbd listening on port 445 then what happens if you run:
> > >
> > > # ctdb checktcpport 445
> > > Failed to bind to TCP port 445
> > >
> > > It should fail to bind, which is what CTDB's monitor event looks for
> > > when testing to see smbd is listing on the port.
> > >
> > > peace & happiness,
> > > martin
> > >

> > Hello Martin,
> >
> > Thank you very much for your help. When using the commands you
> > suggested, it showed that samba was not listing on port 445 and ctdb
> > checktcpport 445 did not fail. Somehow the upgrade process to 4.7.1
> > worked after several tries and I tried to figure out why. During the
> > investigation I found out that the smbd process failed after one minute
> > (before that I was probably not patient enough to see smbd fail),
> > reporting that samba 4.7.1 was running and it refused to start 4.7.4 (at
> > this time I tried to directly upgrade to 4.7.4):
> >
> > [2018/02/04 20:18:16.968393,  0]
> > ../source3/smbd/server.c:1532(smbd_claim_version)
> > Feb  4 20:18:16 fileb smbd[5835]:  smbd_claim_version: smbd 4.7.1
> > already running, refusing to start version 4.7.4
> >
> > The next thing was to stop ctdb on both file servers to do an offline
> > upgrade. This worked fine without any problems. So it seems that a
> > rolling upgrade from 4.7.1 to 4.7.4 did not work in my case in contrast
> > to the information on the samba wiki:"For releases within a minor
> > version (i.e. X.Y.Z to X.Y.Z'), rolling upgrades will work unless
> > otherwise stated.". I could not find any information in the release
> > notes that rolling upgrades do not work, but next time I will try to do
> > an offline upgrade first.
> >
> > Thank you for your time and help.
>
> I wasn't aware that the the code stopping rolling upgrades had actually
> gone upstream and into a release.  :-(
>
> I'll ask some questions and fix the documentation on the wiki.

I have updated the "Policy" section of

  https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Upgrading_a_CTDB_cluster

Sorry that this was out of date for a significant amount of time.

Although I wrote it, I think the "Suggestions" section of that page is
useful, especially this:

  You should probably schedule a maintenance window for an upgrade just
  in case things go wrong - if you have to do that then you might as
  well briefly take down the whole cluster

:-)

peace & happiness,
martin