[Samba] Error running CVE-2018-1057_helper on 4.5

Denis Cardon dcardon at tranquil.it
Wed Mar 14 09:31:43 UTC 2018

Hi Brian,

> I tried to run this script on a system running 4.5.15 built from source
> under Ubuntu 16.04, but I get the following exception:
>
> # PYTHONPATH="/usr/local/samba/lib/python2.7/site-packages/"
> ./samba_CVE-2018-1057_helper --lock-pwchange
> Temporarily overriding 'dsdb:schema update allowed' setting
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "./samba_CVE-2018-1057_helper", line 139, in <module>
>     sd_helper.modify_sd_on_dn(msg.dn, new_desc)
>   File "/usr/local/samba/lib/python2.7/site-packages/samba/sd_utils.py",
> line 40, in modify_sd_on_dn
>     m.dn = Dn(self.ldb, object_dn)
> TypeError: argument 2 must be string, not ldb.Dn
> A transaction is still active in ldb context [0x2337ea0] on
> tdb:///usr/local/samba/private/sam.ldb
>
> I tried doing "kinit Administrator" and then repeating, but that didn't
> change the error.

you don't need to kinit. The script directly goes to ldb files.

The script is ok for 4.7 but there is a small fix to make it run for
earlier Samba version, cf. the diff in attachment.

> I see samba 4.8.0 was released yesterday, which means 4.5.x technically
> dropped out of support yesterday too:

the fix for this security flaw has been backport from 4.8 to 4.3, so yes
4.5 can be patched. But I would advise you to use the mitigation script
first and prepare and update to 4.7.6 in the coming weeks because, like
you said, 4.5 won't get any feature fixes from upstream anymore since
4.8 is out.

Cheers,

Denis

--