[Samba] Kerberos not working after moving Samba AD DC to new server

Sebastian Arcus s.arcus at open-t.co.uk
Fri Mar 9 10:52:04 UTC 2018

I am moving a Samba AD DC to a new server (I am merging two different
hardware servers serving different functions). The new server has the
same name as the old one, and same IP addresses on the network
interfaces. I have moved the following directories:

/var/lib/samba
/var/cache/samba
/etc/samba/
/var/named/

Samba will start, Bind starts (I'm using the Bind backend), the dns
tests from Samba wiki work fine, but the following doesn't work and I
can't figure out why:

# kinit Administrator
kinit: Cannot contact any KDC for realm 'MYDOMAIN.LAN' while getting
initial credentials

The domain name above is correct, but for some reason Kerberos doesn't
seem to be working. Does the Kerberos side of things need any other
files which I should have copied from the old server?