[Samba] IDMAP Cache

Meike Stone meike.stone at googlemail.com
Mon Jun 25 08:34:03 UTC 2018

Hello dear list,

can someone help me?

The manual page clearly states:
"The idmap backend provides a plugin interface for *Winbind* to use
varying backends to store SID/uid/gid mapping tables." and
"ID mapping in Samba is the mapping between Windows SIDs and Unix user
and group IDs. This is performed by *Winbindd* with a configurable
plugin interface."

So, that's the reason, why I said "No winbind is running." (on my server)

So that can explain, why samba 3 is asking the LDAP-Server often, but
why is using samba 4 the cache without winbind?

my configuration (testparm -v -s | grep idmap):
        ldap idmap suffix =
        idmap backend = tdb
        idmap cache time = 604800
        idmap negative cache time = 120