[Samba] IDMAP Cache

Meike Stone meike.stone at googlemail.com
Fri Jun 22 11:40:56 UTC 2018

Hello dear list,

I have running a Samba 3 server (under SLES11) connected to an
LDAP-Server and it is running well.
But now, I like to migrate to Samba 4 and I've made a few tests before.

The whole time I with Samba 3, I was surprised about the many ldap requests so
that I thought about an additional local OpenLDAP proxy cache.

But now with Samba 4 (with the same configuration like Samba 3,
SLES12) the IDMAP
requests are cached in a local tdb (gencache.tdb).

I can check the local cache "net cache list". While the list on Samba 3 is
empty, with Samba 4 there are a lot of IDMAP entires.

No winbind is running.

My questions:
    - Is this cache configurable (TTL, ...) - I've nothing found?
    - Does the cache configuration and functional principle
      differ between Samba 3 and 4?
    - How to debug this?
    - Why only the cache under Samba 4 is working?

Thanks Meike
my configuration (same for Samba 3 and 4):

[global]
          workgroup = Samba
          map to guest = Bad User
          security = user
          server string = Server1
          max protocol = SMB2
          deadtime = 600

          load printers = no
          printcap name = /dev/null
          disable spoolss = yes

          ldap admin dn = uid=sambauser,o=some,c=domain
          passdb backend = ldapsam:"ldap://ldap01.some.domain"

          ldap suffix = cn=samba,o=some,c=domain
          ldap user suffix = cn=accounts
          ldap group suffix = cn=groups
          ldap passwd sync = No