[Samba] setsid() failure when starting winbindd/smbd (was: Re: Samba 4.8 RODC not working)

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Wed Jun 13 10:37:35 UTC 2018

On Wed, 2018-06-13 at 11:33 +0200, Gaetan SLONGO via samba wrote:
> exit_daemon: STATUS=daemon failed to start: Failed to create session, error code 1

This is the issue.

On my system EPERM is errno 1.

The call failing is setsid().  It lists this:

ERRORS
       EPERM  The  process  group  ID of any process equals the PID of the calling process.  Thus, in particular, setsid() fails if the calling process is already a
              process group leader.

This was so clearly not expected to fail that we didn't even convert
the error number to a string, so I don't think that is the entire
story.  Just to rule things out, are you running under Are you running
under some kind of jail/selinux/security subsystem/apparmor/ulimit?

Andrew Bartlett