[Samba] Samba 4.8 RODC not working

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Wed Jun 13 09:06:04 UTC 2018

On Wed, 13 Jun 2018 10:40:28 +0200 (CEST)
Gaetan SLONGO <gslongo at it-optics.com> wrote:

> Hi Louis, Hi Rowland,
>

> I will respond to both in this mail.
>

> Yes winbind is installed :
>

> [root at dmzrodc ~]# which winbindd
> /usr/sbin/winbindd
> [root at dmzrodc ~]# rpm -qa |grep winbind
> sernet-samba-winbind-4.8.2-10.el7.x86_64

What does '/usr/sbin/winbindd -V' produce ?

> I know about *mbd processes. so strange.. This is why I'm posting
> here :-)

I have never used an RODC, but would image you need both smbd &
winbindd to run

> I joined the RODC following the procedure available on the wiki page
> https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Join_a_domain_as_a_RODC :
>

> samba-tool domain join ads.MYDOMAIN.be RODC -U
> MYDOMAIN\\Administrator --dns-backend=SAMBA_INTERNAL
>

> This is a Samba AD domain. But other DC are 4.7.7. Cannot upgrade to
> 4.8 but I don't think this is the issue. I had exactly same issue
> with 4.6 and 4.7 versions where a dev told me to wait for next
> release to get better RODC support. This did not solved the issue and
> it becomes "urgent" to have this RODC :-(

As Louis as said, if it is that urgent, you may have to ask Sernet for
help, perhaps Volker might care to comment on this problem.

Rowland