[Samba] DM 3.6.25 -> 4.x

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Fri Jul 6 08:38:36 UTC 2018

On Fri, 6 Jul 2018 09:48:38 +0200
"Stefan G. Weichinger via samba" <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> Am 06.07.2018 um 09:33 schrieb Stefan G. Weichinger via samba:

> >> done

> >> done
> >>
> >> ... waiting for the clients to test now.
> >>
> >> So far I see no more ugly "gss ... 277" messages in log.smbd since
> >> the change. Ah, and while I type that ... they return.
> >
> > Now for the records: in the last 3 days these messages really have
> > disappeared until now. Maybe something has timed out in a way, a
> > kerberos ticket or some kind of DNS-related info ... I don't know.
> >
> > As far I know now that samba-server is reachable via both its
> > primary hostname and that one netbios alias (they use both in their
> > hundreds of Hyperlinks they have in their word-docs ... oh my).
>
> Additional info after diffing the 3.6 smb.conf and the current one:
>
> seems as if the order has been turned around, back then they had:
>
> netbios name = U1NORAS
> netbios aliases = samba
>
> now we have
>
> netbios aliases = u1customer
> netbios name = SAMBA
>
> I took the optimized smb.conf suggested by Rowland back then, I'd
> have to check but it seems he turned these 2 around
>
> No offense intended here, just an observation!
>
> On 30.5. Rowland suggested:
>
> Try this smb.conf:
>
> [global]
>      unix charset = iso8859-15
>
>      security = ads
>      realm = CUSTOMER.INTRA
>      workgroup = CUSTOMER
>      netbios aliases = samba
>      server string = U1CUSTOMER
>
> (no more "netbios name" in here ...)
>
> Hm, it seems I messed that up.
>
> My explanation is that somehow it worked for the first 2 weeks or so,
> then something timed out (could that be that the DNS-info for the
> alias is kept alive for such a long time?)
>
> greets, Stefan (still learning)

If you have multiple Unix domain members and want the same IDs on all
of them, then you need to use the same '[global]' section on them all.
The only possible 'flies in the ointment' are the netbios name and
alias' you do not need to set the netbios name (unless it is a CTDB
cluster), Samba will do it for you, you will just need to set any
aliases.

Rowland