[Samba] DM 3.6.25 -> 4.x

Stefan G. Weichinger lists at xunil.at
Fri Jul 6 07:48:38 UTC 2018

Am 06.07.2018 um 09:33 schrieb Stefan G. Weichinger via samba:

>>> Both
>>
>> done

>>> Try a reload first.
>>
>> done
>>
>> ... waiting for the clients to test now.
>>
>> So far I see no more ugly "gss ... 277" messages in log.smbd since the
>> change. Ah, and while I type that ... they return.
>
> Now for the records: in the last 3 days these messages really have
> disappeared until now. Maybe something has timed out in a way, a
> kerberos ticket or some kind of DNS-related info ... I don't know.
>
> As far I know now that samba-server is reachable via both its primary
> hostname and that one netbios alias (they use both in their hundreds of
> Hyperlinks they have in their word-docs ... oh my).

Additional info after diffing the 3.6 smb.conf and the current one:

seems as if the order has been turned around, back then they had:

netbios name = U1NORAS
netbios aliases = samba

now we have

netbios aliases = u1customer
netbios name = SAMBA

I took the optimized smb.conf suggested by Rowland back then, I'd have
to check but it seems he turned these 2 around

No offense intended here, just an observation!

On 30.5. Rowland suggested:

Try this smb.conf:

[global]
     unix charset = iso8859-15

     security = ads
     realm = CUSTOMER.INTRA
     workgroup = CUSTOMER
     netbios aliases = samba
     server string = U1CUSTOMER

(no more "netbios name" in here ...)

Hm, it seems I messed that up.

My explanation is that somehow it worked for the first 2 weeks or so,
then something timed out (could that be that the DNS-info for the alias
is kept alive for such a long time?)

greets, Stefan (still learning)