[Samba] Centos 7 AD domain provision won't create named.conf

Kacper Wirski kacper.wirski at gmail.com
Tue Jul 3 05:59:24 UTC 2018

Hello,

I don't know about provisioning, but when joining as DC to existing
domain samba 4.8.3 with dns backend BIND9_DLZ all the bind related files
are created inside "samba/bind-dns" directory inside /usr/local/samba,
instead of the previous samba/private. I think there is new option to
specify directory, were all bind related files are to be kept, and
samba/bind-dns is the default value.

Also, as a sidenote I noticed myself wrong behaviour of --dns-backend
option during join of DC to existing domain with samba 4.8.3:

If i run:

samba-tool domain join my.domain DC --dns-backend=BIND9_DLZ
-U'DOMAIN\Administrator'

in my samba directory there will be "bind-dns" directory created, with
"named.conf" inside, but file permissions are wrong (root:root instead
of root:named), and named.keytab is created inside samba/private/.

Once i run after join:

samba_dnsupgrade --dns-backend=BIND9_DLZ

All the files are created as they should (/samba/bind-dns/ has correct
permissions and named.keytab is created/moved to this directory as well).

This behaviour is repetitive, on centos 7.5 at least.

Regards,
Kacper