[Samba] DNS issues after upgrade

Anantha Raghava raghav at exzatechconsulting.com
Mon Jan 22 02:39:01 UTC 2018

Hi,

The upgrade from 4.6.5 broke all the servers. Although the services were
running and there is no error message, DNS resolution failed. Even from
inside the domain controllers, DNS queries failed.

Samba Version 4.7.1 and Named Version 9.9.4. The same issue happened
with samba version 4.7.3 and 4.7.4

We had to revert back to 4.6.5 to bring the servers back online. Now I
have few questions:

1. On the the DCs, we stopped both samba-ad-dc and named services,  just
compiled samba 4.7.1 & installed without making any changes to the
folders or the files. On three of our 4 servers it worked without any
issues. On the fourth server which owned all FSMO roles, although both
samba-ad-dc and named services were running (no errors were thrown), DNS
could not respond to any queries. For some time, two of the servers were
working and they also stopped resolving any names. Whether database
replication faulted the other working servers as well, we are not having
clarity.

2. Is there any specific procedure to be followed to upgrade? As
mentioned above, we have just compiled the latest version from sources
and installed on 4.6.5. The process that worked on 3 servers failed &
broke the DNS on 4th server that owned all FSMO roles. Should we have
transferred the FSMO roles to other working servers before upgrade process?

3. Since samba 4.7.x is a multi-process server, is there any DB locking
issue, that is stopping named process from reading DB?

4. In named logs, we say that it was unable to obtain the DNAKEY (.) and
it was timing out. But this error was shown even before the upgrade. It
turned out be a warning that can be safely ignored.

5. We switched back from BIND9_DLZ DNS Back end to SAMBA_INTERNAL DNS
Back end, the same issue continued. DNS failed to respond to any
queries. Even internally with in DCs, ping the self could not resolve
name & returned error.

6. Finally, when we downgraded, everything started working properly. on
the version 4.7.4, we just compiled 4.6.5 and installed. Just reversed
the upgrade process. It started working. All servers came back to
normal. This is really surprising. Since it is a production setup that
is serving the entire India, we just reverted all servers back to 4.6.5.

7. While we observed some network latency, it is not the culprit for
stopping of response to DNS queries that stopped the entire 9000 users
from logging in.

Now we are simulating the same error in our lab setup to figure out the
root cause for the issue, before upgrading the production servers.

I seek your expert guidance and help to get to the root cause of the
problem.

--

Thanks & Regards,

Anantha Raghava