[Samba] Where to find out documentation on how does Samba work ?

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Fri Jan 19 19:23:45 UTC 2018

On Fri, 19 Jan 2018 13:54:25 -0500
Denis Morejon <denis.morejon at etecsa.cu> wrote:

> Rowland:
>
> I think wiki is good. It's useful as a step by step guide to deploy
> Samba. But I don't find a general explanation of how each piece works!

A Samba AD DC is composed of several components, all working together.
These components individually work just like they would if you where
running them separately. Bind 9 works just like any other Bind9 dns
server, except that the zones are stored in AD and you use bind_dlz
to connect them to the Bind9 server. Samba uses Heimdal for
kerberos, so you could read documentation on this. Otherwise a Samba
AD DC works very much like a Windows AD DC, so you could read any
windows documentation and expect it to relevant.

Rowland