[Samba] idmap limit?

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Tue Jan 16 15:38:19 UTC 2018

On Tue, 16 Jan 2018 16:20:52 +0100
Andreas Hauffe via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> no, that's my fault. I changed the UIDs and user names in my "ls -l"
> to unpersonalized/example data for my mail and didn't think about
> putting these values into the range. A better unpersonalized data
> example would look like:
>
> ----------
>
> drwx------ 43 DOM\user1        DOM\group  4096 Jan 10 08:00 user1
> drwx------   5 DOM\user2        DOM\group  4096 Jan 11 08:13 user2
> drwx------  3         10234          DOM\group  4096 Sep  7  2015
> user3 drwx------  7         10235          DOM\group  4096 Apr 30
> 2013 user4 drwx------ 12 DOM\user5        DOM\group   4096 Jan  4
> 12:46 user5 drwx------  2         10236          DOM\group   4096
> Jul  1 2015 user6 ....
>
> When we run a "wbinfo --uid-info" for an unmapped user, we are
> getting:
>
>  > wbinfo --uid-info=10234
> failed to call wbcGetpwuid: WBC_ERR_DOMAIN_NOT_FOUND
> Could not get info for uid 10234
>
> When we run "wbinfo -i" for that user, everything works fine.
>
>  > wbinfo -i DOM\\user3
> DOM\user3:*:10234:10001::/home/user3:/bin/bash
>
> After the last command (wbinfo -i DOM\\user3) also "wbinfo
> --uid-info=10234" shows the correct result and the "ls -l" list also
> list the user name instead of the uid.

Please don't mess with the numbers, '10234' is still an invalid ID. You
are using the 'rid' backend and this calculates the ID from the RID
with:

ID = RID - BASE_RID + LOW_RANGE_ID

To calculate the RID from the ID, you would use:

RID = ID + BASE_RID - LOW_RANGE_ID

the 'BASE_RID' is always '0' (unless you set it) so the above becomes:

RID = 10234 - 10000

RID = 234

Please post again with the CORRECT IDs, a number cannot be that
secret ;-)

Rowland