[Samba] Access to Windows 2016 server works with IP but not with netbios name

Rob Marshall rob.marshall17 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 14 00:12:14 UTC 2018

Hi,

When I initially tested the "getent passwd testuser01" I got nothing
back. I then did: "getent passwd "wg\testuser01"" and got the entry. A
"troubleshooting" wiki I was reading suggested adding: "winbind use
default domain = yes" to fix that. I added that and was then able to
lookup the user without needing the "wg\".

In looking at the sources for libcli/security/dom_sid.c, which is
where the "invalid format" messages are displayed, I'm a bit confused.
That function seems to be assuming it's received an actual SID and not
the group designation. Does anyone know why it would be checking the
@WG\dl_fred1_testshare_r?

Also, as I mentioned earlier, I only see the NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED
when using the NETBIOS name to try and access the share. When using
the IP address it doesn't seem to be checking much of anything, but
allows access (at least read access) to the share. For example when
using the NETBIOS name I see it checking the kerberos ticket, which is
NOT happening when using the IP address.

Again, does the assumption make any sense that when using the IP
address the user is being granted some sort of "guest" access but when
using the NETBIOS (or FQDN) name the authentication is actually being
checked and failing for some reason?

Thanks,

Rob