[Samba] Adding a Windows Server 2008 as a DC to the domain fails

Roy Eastwood spindles7 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 5 13:31:40 UTC 2018

Hi Louis,
Thanks you for your quick answer.

> Hai Roy,
>
> What happens if you disable smb1 in win 2008, reboot and try again.
> In powershell run :
>
> Get-WindowsFeature FS-SMB1
> Disable-WindowsOptionalFeature -Online -FeatureName smb1protocol

Unfortunately the command is not recognised - it would seem that the Server
Manager Command-line tools are not available on
Windows Server 2008, only on 2008 R2 upwards!   So I set the SMB1 DWORD value to
0 in the appropriate key in the registry to disable SMB1.
That did not help at all - same failure notice.

I checked the Forest/Domain functional level using "samba-tool domain level
show" and indeed it is set to 2008 R2.
There doesn't seem to be  any command to lower the Functional Levels in samba.
However, I found this:
https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/aman/2012/12/28/step-by-step-guide-to-lower-
active-directory-functional-level/

Would this work?   For example, if I re-join my Windows 2008 R2 machine as a DC,
lower the functional levels of the forest & domain,
join my 2008 machine, then demote the 2008 R2 DC?

> Greetz,
>
> Louis

Thanks,

Roy