[Samba] Mac client the color label associated to a file is lost after editing...

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Fri Feb 2 11:37:53 UTC 2018

On Fri, 2 Feb 2018 11:56:51 +0100
Dario Palmisano via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> thanks in advance for the support!
>
> My samba server is samba-3.6.23-45.el6_9.x86_64, on Scientific Linux
> 6.
>
> Using a Mac it is possible to associate a color label to a file
> (suppose a word document). This can be done on the samba share too,
> but if I edit the file and save the changes the color label is lost
> (like if it is reset to empty). When the file is local or it is in
> shared volume via afp (netatalk) the editing works fine, preserving
> the color label.
> Is this happened to any other, is there any way to solve it?

If this is a Samba problem, you have little or no chance of getting
samba-3.6.23 fixed. It is EOL as far as Samba is concerned, see here:

https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Samba_Release_Planning

Try upgrading Samba to a supported version (This may also require
upgrading the OS), if the problem is still apparent, raise a bug report.

Rowland