[Samba] guest access

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Sat Dec 29 10:26:36 UTC 2018

On Sat, 29 Dec 2018 13:41:50 +0330
sam zand <zand.nas.storage at gmail.com> wrote:

> I  add 'map to guest = bad user' to [global] and  'guest ok = yes'
> and then try to connect to share. but it requests a username and
> password.

I did say it would be virtually impossible in an AD domain. 'man
smb.conf' has this to say about 'map to guest = bad user'

Bad User - Means user logins with an invalid password
           are rejected, unless the username does not exist, in
           which case it is treated as a guest login and mapped
           into the guest account.

So a guest user has to be unknown, before they are mapped to guest, but
a user has to be known before they can log into a domain computer. This
means you are in a catch 22 position here.

To get guest access working, you will need to connect from a non-domain
member as a user unknown to AD, this sort of defeats the idea behind
AD ;-)

Rowland