[Samba] guest access

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Sat Dec 29 09:02:12 UTC 2018

On Sat, 29 Dec 2018 12:03:43 +0330
sam zand via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> Hello List
> I install a samba 4.6.5 server for active directory authentication and
> shares.
> I have a number of Samba shares, some of which I would like to allow
> guest access to Windows machines. If a windows machine tries to
> access a "guest" share, it requests a username and password.
> please help me to connect to share without username and password.
> thanks
> Here is my smb.conf:
>

> # Global parameters
> [global]
> dns forwarder = 192.168.142.2
> netbios name = LOCALHOST

I do hope your computers FQDN isn't localhost.samba.com, if it is, then
you really need to start again, but this time with a short hostname
that isn't 'localhost'

> realm = SAMBA.COM
> server role = active directory domain controller
> workgroup = SAMBA
> idmap_ldb:use rfc2307 = yes
>

> [test]
> path = /mnt
>     read only = no
> available = yes
>     browsable = yes

You do not need the above two lines, they are the defaults.

>     guset ok = yes

'guset' should be 'guest'

You need to add 'map to guest = bad user' to [global] and then connect
with users that are unknown to AD, which is going to be virtually
impossible from domain joined clients.

Rowland