[Samba] Advantage of 'kerberos method = secrets and keytab' over 'kerberos method = system keytab'

L.P.H. van Belle belle at bazuin.nl
Tue Dec 18 09:35:43 UTC 2018

My question also, im not really clear with the "kerberos method" options.

In my opinion. I cant think of much that does not need the /etc/krb5.keytab file.
So i really pro, always having the krb5.keytab file, because it makes life more easy.

If you only use winbind auth that might be an advantage of system (in-memory) keytab.
But i need some practical examples for on the settings first, because i'm not 100% sure
in what all dis-advantages and advantages are.

About the "login hickup at 10 hour service ticket expiration problem"
Your 100% nothing in the network is causing this..
I've seen the problem on the list of you, i'll have an other look at it.

You can try the following. If you now using system keytab. Set this and see if it works.

    kerberos method = secrets and keytab

! Dont forget, you need to have krb5.keytab extracted from AD.
https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Keytab_Extraction

If you dont have any krb5.keytab file.
kinit Adminsitrator
KRB5_KTNAME=FILE:/etc/krb5.keytab net ads keytab CREATE -P
kdestroy

If you have, whats in it?

But please do test this on a test server and not your production.
If you go test on the production make sure you have good backups of the samba.

Greetz,

Louis