[Samba] Advantage of 'kerberos method = secrets and keytab' over 'kerberos method = system keytab'

Peter Eriksson peter at ifm.liu.se
Tue Dec 18 09:04:49 UTC 2018

A question regarding the “kerberos method” configuration option in smb.conf:

Are there any practical differences between using ’secrets and keytab’ and ’system keytab’?

I’ve been running Samba servers using both methods for a long time and both seems to work more or less fine, but since we’re having this “login hickup at 10 hour service ticket expiration problem” I’m trying to find out if this might be one thing that is causing our problems? (Our production servers where we see this problem are using ’system keytab’).

I’ve been trying to find some information if one gives some advantages over the other but so far has come up empty…

Which one is the preferred setting?

- Peter