[Samba] Samba4 Kerberos Authentication Error

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Thu Dec 6 14:33:36 UTC 2018

On Thu, 6 Dec 2018 09:12:03 -0500
Marco Shmerykowsky PE via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> >> I'm basically trying to set up one Linux appliance to handle
> >> overall authentication and let two other machines simply
> >> serve files.
> >>

> > I would do it slightly differently, two DC's and then whatever
> > fileservers are required. The Centos Samba packages are usable for a
> > domain member, they just cannot be used for a DC.
> >
> > Rowland
>
> Why 2 DC's?  My understanding is that a file server should
> not simultaneously serve as a DC in an Active Directory setup.

I never said use a DC as a fileserver, I was just picking up on what
you said 'one Linux appliance to handle overall authentication '. I
took it you meant use one Samba AD DC and two Samba AD DC's are always
better.

> I have a small office.  While I have no issue making one of
> the file servers also function as a backup DC, I really don't
> want to add yet another server to the mix to handle a single
> role.

I know Windows sysadmins refer to DC's via various different names, but
AD RWDC's are all the same apart from the FSMO roles and they can be on
any DC.

If resources are limited, you can use a DC as a fileserver, you just
have to be aware of the limitations.

Rowland