[Samba] Setup a Samba AD DC as an additional DC

L.P.H. van Belle belle at bazuin.nl
Mon Dec 3 15:22:41 UTC 2018

Hai Barry,

Hm,, why is this server resolvng outside the domain your joining?
I would have expected :
40.176.192.131.in-addr.arpa domain name pointer sambaDC.domain.com

But not a .local
Did you start with DHCP ip and changed it later on maybe?

> in Ubuntu Netplan.  I don't know why it did not find "pointer
> sambaDC.domain.com."
> was not on your "how-to".  Tried to follow exactly as you
> mentioned.  I'm working on getting this corrected.
>
> :~$ dig a $(sambaDC -s)
> sambaDC: command not found

Ok, thats a line i might have missed in the late changes for the join i gave.
You need at least one of these 2:
Set in /etc/hosts the correct hostname and ip for the server.
And/or Set in the DC the hostname and ip ( so A/AAAA and PTR ) record.

Normaly, we set the /etc/hosts file and the A records is automaticly created by join.
Manual check the PTR after a join.