[Samba] Setup a Samba AD DC as an additional DC

Barry D. Adkins Barry at daram.com
Sat Dec 1 23:49:11 UTC 2018

As much time as I've spent on this I should have just setup a development environment, compiled it and debugged it.

I did this every day for a living from 1994 until Compaq was bought out by HP in 2002.

I'm now heading on that journey because we keep coming to the same problem.  I don't see anything wrong with resolving.  In fact it all resolves just perfectly if you just leave Netplan alone and configure it right at install.

All the ifupdown, and what not has made no difference although I accept that I spent my life on DOS/Windows from 1983 when I was writing assembly language DOS programs on the PC.

So... it may take me days to get a dev environment going but I don't see an alternative if I want it to work.

I did a lot of python development in 2015 working on a Ph. D. in Structural Engineering.  The programming is easy, it's the task that is the challenge.  In 2015 I was struggling with Computational Analysis solving Partial Differential Equations of which I had nearly completely forgotten since the last math class I ever took was in my B.S. degree in 1983.  Computers I know.  So, here I go.  I may ask for some help once I get started and read the wiki's.

I'll have to be able to build Samba and get it working in a symbolic debugger, but the bigger challenge will be navigating all the cryptic python files and locating the correct entry point to trace.

If anybody can save me from this it would be nice, but well, I think I'd be better off doing this.

Thanks for all the help so far!!!

-Barry

>:~$ host 131.192.176.40
>40.176.192.131.in-addr.arpa domain name pointer sambaDC.
>40.176.192.131.in-addr.arpa domain name pointer sambaDC.local.

>>> Barry Comment: the name server for the Win Domain is set in Ubuntu Netplan.  I don't know why it did not find "pointer sambaDC.domain.com."
>>> I did not create a HOSTS file or make any entries as it was not on your "how-to".  Tried to follow exactly as you mentioned.  I'm working on getting this corrected.

I fixed this, but it didn't change anything about getting it to join the domain.  Same errors.

-Barry Adkins