[Samba] multiple passdb backends for standalone fileserver?

Matthias Leopold matthias.leopold at meduniwien.ac.at
Tue Aug 21 07:51:31 UTC 2018

Am 2018-08-20 um 17:15 schrieb Rowland Penny via samba:
> On Mon, 20 Aug 2018 16:43:24 +0200
> Matthias Leopold via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> i (naively) would like to have local AND ldap users (and groups...)
>> on my standalone fileserver (security = user). "passdb backend =
>> ldapsam" already works OK and i found some old posts on the internet
>> about "chaining" passdb backends. so i tried "chaining" ldapsam and
>> tdbsam, but although testparm doesn't complain and i can add local
>> users with "pdbedit -b tdbsam" this setup doesn't actually work (ldap
>> users are found, local are not)
>>
>> is this supposed to work? are there other ways to achieve this?
>>
>> samba version: 4.7.1 (on CentOS)
>>
>> thx
>> matthias
>>

> By its very definition, a standalone server is just that, so ALL its
> users are LOCAL. You need users in Samba to match the local Unix users,
> whether you use tdbsam or ldapsam is up to you, but you cannot use
> both.
>
> Why do you want to do what you are trying to do ?
> What do you want to achieve ?
>
> Rowland

thanks for your explanation, you're right of course and i already
suspected there wouldn't be a way, because it actually doesn't make much
sense. in my case it was only a question of convenience, because the
ldap server used isn't designed for a samba backend and servers mainly
other purposes (although ldapsam does work). it's rather costly to get
users in there, but i'll go this way

thx
matthias