[Samba] multiple passdb backends for standalone fileserver?

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Mon Aug 20 15:15:27 UTC 2018

On Mon, 20 Aug 2018 16:43:24 +0200
Matthias Leopold via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> i (naively) would like to have local AND ldap users (and groups...)
> on my standalone fileserver (security = user). "passdb backend =
> ldapsam" already works OK and i found some old posts on the internet
> about "chaining" passdb backends. so i tried "chaining" ldapsam and
> tdbsam, but although testparm doesn't complain and i can add local
> users with "pdbedit -b tdbsam" this setup doesn't actually work (ldap
> users are found, local are not)
>
> is this supposed to work? are there other ways to achieve this?
>
> samba version: 4.7.1 (on CentOS)
>
> thx
> matthias

By its very definition, a standalone server is just that, so ALL its
users are LOCAL. You need users in Samba to match the local Unix users,
whether you use tdbsam or ldapsam is up to you, but you cannot use
both.

Why do you want to do what you are trying to do ?
What do you want to achieve ?

Rowland