[Samba] Updating Samba

René Schmidt rene at schmidthome-sh.de
Sun Aug 12 11:34:50 UTC 2018

Hello everybody,

I have an Ubuntu server installed on the Samba 4.3.11 Ubuntu from the Ubuntu sources.
Now I want to update Samba. I downloaded the version 4.8.3 of samba.org (tar.gz) and unzipped it.
./configure always fails:

Checking for program krb5-config.heimdal: not found
Checking for program krb5-config: not found
Checking for program pkg-config: not found
Checking for gnutls> = 3.4.7: not found
Checking for program pkg-config: not found
Checking for gnutls> = 3.0.0s: not found
Checking for program pkg-config: not found
Checking for gnutls> = 1.4.0 and broken versions: not found
/srv/wget/samba-4.8.3/source4/lib/tls/wscript:51: error: Building the AD DC requires GnuTLS (eg libgnutls-dev, gnutls-devel) for ldaps: // support and for the BackupKey protocol

But libgnutls-dev is installed:
dpkg -l | grep libgnutls-dev
ii libgnutls-dev 2.12.23-12ubuntu2.8 amd64 GNU TLS library - development files

Where is the problem?

Many thanks for the help...