[Samba] Updating Samba

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Sun Aug 12 12:01:45 UTC 2018

On Sun, 12 Aug 2018 13:34:50 +0200
René Schmidt via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> Hello everybody,
>
> I have an Ubuntu server installed on the Samba 4.3.11 Ubuntu from the
> Ubuntu sources. Now I want to update Samba. I downloaded the version
> 4.8.3 of samba.org (tar.gz) and unzipped it. ./configure always fails:
>
> Checking for program krb5-config.heimdal: not found
> Checking for program krb5-config: not found
> Checking for program pkg-config: not found
> Checking for gnutls> = 3.4.7: not found
> Checking for program pkg-config: not found
> Checking for gnutls> = 3.0.0s: not found
> Checking for program pkg-config: not found
> Checking for gnutls> = 1.4.0 and broken versions: not found
> /srv/wget/samba-4.8.3/source4/lib/tls/wscript:51: error: Building the
> AD DC requires GnuTLS (eg libgnutls-dev, gnutls-devel) for ldaps: //
> support and for the BackupKey protocol
>
> But libgnutls-dev is installed:
> dpkg -l | grep libgnutls-dev
> ii libgnutls-dev 2.12.23-12ubuntu2.8 amd64 GNU TLS library -
> development files
>
> Where is the problem?
>
> Many thanks for the help...

You do not seem to have all the required build packages installed.
You also haven't told us what version of Ubuntu you are using.

There is yet another possible problem. By default, building Samba
yourself will put everything into /usr/local/samba unless you set the
install path with ./configure and you shouldn't really do this with a
distro, this is because you might get your Samba files wiped out by an
update.

Rowland