[Samba] Are some Group Policies broken?

Mark Foley mfoley at ohprs.org
Wed Apr 25 02:16:40 UTC 2018

Not quite 4 years ago I replaced our office SBS 2008 server with Samba4.  I added Group
Policies one of which was for Redirected Folders.  I created a new GPO, "HPRS Groups" and did
Edit > User Configuration > Policies > Windows Settings > Folder Redirection > right-click on
Documents > Properties > Target = Settings Basic - Redirect everyone's folder to the same
location; Target folder location: Create a folder for each user under the root; Root Path:
\\mail.hprs.local.  I repeated for Desktop, Start Menu and Favorites.  The group policy was
enabled for 'Authenticated Users'.

After doing that, when a user logged into their own or another domain workstation with the new
Samba4 AD/DC they got their redirected desktop, as expected.

In July, 2016 I added a new user to the system.  When she logged in on her Windows 7
workstation (which was already a domain member) she got her new redirected desktop as expected.

Over the past month I have installed new Windows 7 work stations for 3 of the existing users.
When I logged into the workstation as that user I DID NOT have their redirected desktops. The
properties > Location of their Desktop file pointed to C:\Users\username\Desktop. Likewwise
with 'My Documents' and 'Favorites'. I had to manually change these to point to
\\mail.hprs.local\Users\username\Desktop. Also, when a current user now logs into a different
workstation in the office they do not get their desktop like they used to.

Does anyone know if something has changed with the way Samba4 deal with Group Policies since
mid-2016? I'm at loss as to how to track down this problem.

I believe I was on Samba 4.1.17 in mid-2016 and am now on 4.4.16, which is the current version
for my Slackware 14.2 distro.

THX --Mark