[Samba] Share users across domains

Gaiseric Vandal gaiseric.vandal at gmail.com
Mon Apr 2 14:33:52 UTC 2018

There is a documented upgrade process

https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Migrating_a_Samba_NT4_Domain_to_Samba_AD_(Classic_Upgrade)

With 5000 users you probably want to create a test environment
first.        Moving from samba 3 to samba 4 but staying in a classic
domain should not require a huge learning curve and you don't have to
change the LDAP backend.      Just don't count on domain trusts working.

You definitely want to document how the various other systems are
configured for LDAP authentication or coordinate with whomever is
managing those systems.   I moved from a classic samba domain to a AD
domain with "real" Windows 2012 domain controllers.   (This was because
we needed to support MS Exchange.)       I had to tweek things like
search base and naming attributes.  Also, if you are using TLS
encryption with LDAP, that may require some fiddling to get
working.        Also, depending on how you set up LDAP,  your current
setup MAY allow anonymous access to retrieve a list of users and groups
(although not passwords.)   With AD there is no anonymous access via LDAP.

It is a little scary to hear a system administrator say he knows nothing
about AD.            Kerberos can be quite a challenge though.     It
also seems like with 5000 accounts that the migration task is too much
for one person to handle by himself.    When I did a major step of the
domain migration in my company (under 100 people) I had 3 extra people
helping me over the weekend, with over 12 hours per person per day.