[Samba] Samba Share slow on OpenVPN

Niels Dettenbach nd at syndicat.com
Thu Sep 14 13:31:22 UTC 2017

Am Donnerstag, 14. September 2017, 15:00:49 CEST schrieb Shobhit Agarwal via
samba:
> When I am trying to upload/download the files without OpenVPN the speed is
> coming as around 10 MB/s.
>
> With OpenVPN it gets reduced to less than 1 MB/s.
Did you tried to test transfer files with other protocols over OpenVPN - i.e.
FTP or at least secure copy (scp)  or SFTP? Do you use UDP or TCP?

I would assume that your OpenVPN config is suboptimal for your IP link
(fragmented or similiar) - i.e. "playing" with mtu and mssfix etc. Be aware
that the choosen MTU suits to the selected crypto ciphers too.

Watch CPU load of the OpenVPN node to clearify if the CPU is a bottleneck too.

hth
good luck,

Niels.

--