[Samba] Server GC/name.dom/dom is not registered with our KDC: Miscellaneous failure (see text): Server (GC/name/dom at DOM) unknown

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Fri Sep 8 11:02:24 UTC 2017

On Fri, 8 Sep 2017 12:43:40 +0200
Sven Schwedas via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> On 2017-09-08 12:26, Rowland Penny via samba wrote:
> > On Fri, 8 Sep 2017 12:03:53 +0200
> > "L.P.H. van Belle via samba" <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:
> >
> >> Thanks Rowland,
> >>
> >> Very appriciated.
> >> The dnsmasq servers are explained, these are no problem in his
> >> setup sofar i could tell/see.
> >>
> > Yes, but do the dnsmasq servers hold all the AD records ?
>
> Define "hold"; they're used as caching servers, but all queries for
> ad.tao.at and subdomains are forwarded to the DCs:
>
> > server=/ad.tao.at/192.168.x #repeated for all DCs
> > server=/x.168.192.in-addr.arpa/x # repeated for all DCs
>
> filterwin2k etc. is **not** enabled in dnsmasq, so no queries are
> blocked, everything is forwarded.

The problem I have (and it might be me worrying over nothing) is that
quite a few of the AD records point to Multiple DCs and dnsmasq might
only retain the info for the DC it finds first. if it does this and
next time it is asked for the record, it returns what it knows, but
this DC has gone off line, what happens ?

Rowland