[Samba] Question on samba 4.4 as ads pdc

Marc Muehlfeld mmuehlfeld at samba.org
Thu Sep 7 17:02:19 UTC 2017

Hi,

Am 07.09.2017 um 18:37 schrieb samba.x.eliezer613--- via samba:
> Hi, If I setup a samba 4.4 server as ads/pdc would that imply on the new
> server one does not have shares. One would install other samba 4.4
> servers running shares and have those samba server joine the ads/pdc
> server?

1.) Do not install Samba 4.4! In a few days we will release Samba 4.7
and then 4.4 is end of life. Install 4.6.7 or wait a few days and
directly install 4.7.0.

2.) Are you talking about AD or PDC. The latter exist only in NT4 domains.

3.) Sorry, but I do not understand your question. From what I guess, you
are asking if you can set up file shares on an AD DC or NT4 PDC, or if
you should better install additionally a domain member server that acts
as file server. In case of AD we recommend to install separate file
servers and not using DCs as for this job.

If this was not your question, please describe more clearly your
environment and what you are planning to do.

Regards,
Marc