[Samba] Using GPO to mount shares on Linux

Daniel Carrasco d.carrasco at i2tic.com
Tue Oct 24 17:30:23 UTC 2017

Hello, I answer bellow.

Thanks!!

>:

> Hai,
>
> I did a re-read of you thread.
>
> First.
> If you use smblcient, with a samba installed, use -s
> /path/alternative/smbclient.conf

I think that Samba is not installed on this client because I'm not using
samba to join the domain. Just realmd, sssd and Kerberos. That's why
there's no smb.conf file.

> If i did read it correct.
> Your connecting from  xUbuntu (samba version ??) to (debian8) samba 4.2
> member
>
> How did you join the xUbuntu?
> https://docs.pagure.org/SSSD.sssd/users/ad_provider.html
> Like this setup? ^^^

Now I don't know the samba version of the client because I cannot access to
the computer, but looks like is the 4.5 version (xUbuntu 16.04 repository).

I've used this guide:
https://www.unixmen.com/how-to-join-an-ubuntu-desktop-into-an-active-directory-domain/

> > This setup is working as expected (some windows bugs hide
> > network drives, but is not samba problem).
> Not a windows bug, but probely a ACL problem on sysvol, check windows
> event logs.
> Works fine here since samba 4.2 DC's.

This time looks like a bug in Windows Explorer, because I've already
checked all:

   - sysvol ACL
   - GPO
   - Clients have access to GPO files
   - gpresult shows like all GPO are applied and all drives mounted
   - There's no info about the problem on event log
   - I can access all drives from CMD
   - When I try to mount the drive manually using connect on explorer I can
   see all mounted on drives list
   - I cannot mount the drive until I umount the drives using cmd
   - The problem is not always on the same drives and even sometimes all
   drives are working
   - The option to set the drive as visible in GPO is enabled
   - The problem only happens on 2 computers of about 15 that have joined
   the domain.
   - ...

Anyway, this don't care because I've already asked it on other thread ;)

> Now, i can only give a few advices.
> 1) upgrade the debian jessie to debian stretch, and start with samba
> 4.5.12 from debian.
> 2) tell us the xUbuntu version and the samba (smbclient) version

I can't do this... I had problems with the old server after upgrade Debian
to stretch, because I use xen with a Windows guest and the xen version
provided by Stretch just have a memory leak running Windows guests. The
process starts to consume memory and when host server is full the guest
machines dies...

Maybe one day I'll try to compile a newer version.

> If i recall correct..
> Sssd lower then 1.12 my have problems, but as Rowland also said,
> I (we) know nothing about sssd here, except what i google.
> If you did not read this one, please do.
> https://jhrozek.wordpress.com/2015/08/19/performance-tuning-
> sssd-for-large-ipa-ad-trust-deployments/
> I dont know it it helps, but it shows some good settings and its good
> explained.
> And if you get it working, please share the solution.  ;-)

I'm not sure about the version but I think that is higher, because I've
read about problems on sssd prior to a version and I've already checked it.

Thanks for the links. I'll take a look because all info is welcome.

> Greetz,
>
> Louis

      Daniel Carrasco Marín
      Ingeniería para la Innovación i2TIC, S.L.
      Tlf:  +34 911 12 32 84 Ext: 223
      www.i2tic.com