[Samba] Samba 4.7 debian Stretch package available for testing
L.P.H. van Belle
belle at bazuin.nl
Fri Oct 20 07:56:38 UTC 2017
It did take some time, but here they are..
Debian Stretch Samba 4.7.0 Packages, rebuild from debian experimental, with small modifications. ( see changelogs below )
I've tested a bit with my new 4.7 debian samba package and it looks ok to me, but these first tests are in a clean environment.
I did a upgrade from 4.5.8 to 4.7. AD and Member. ( samba + internal DNS was tested, bind_dlz is next up. )
Just before the upgrade, i've set the log level to 10, so if someone wants these logs, let me know, i've saved them.
Its an overkill but might be handy.
But we need more testings, so please have a look and ....
Basic test look ok, a recap and howto.
Which tests.. See the wiki on howto install and check samba.
If anyone is willing to try these 4.7 for debian stretch packages ( amd64 and i386 available )
You can use this instructions.. ..
1) Dont use this on you production yet...
These are the first build, so test them outside your production first.
Or be 1000000000% sure you can easy revert if needed.
Because, you break it, you fix it.
2) Backup /etc/samba /var/lib/samba /var/cache/samba ( when samba was stopped )
3) Read the change logs.
Make modifications where needed in smb.conf. ( see changed 4.5 4.6 also )
What if its not in above, read also :
4) ready.. ?... Wait, read more before you start.
More about these packages:
Buildlogs and change logs : http://downloads.van-belle.nl/samba4/Buildlogs/stretch-unstable/
samba (2:4.7.0+dfsg-1.1~deb9+1) stretch-unstable; urgency=medium
* Rebuild for stretch from experimental.
* d/control: Bump build-depends cmocka 1.1.1. Closes: #878357
* d/control: changed python-gpme to python-gpg Closes: #876984
* d/control: Added acl attr dnsutils python-crypto krb5-user gdb libjson-perl
- Added missing build mandatory, compaired to samba wiki.
-- Louis van Belle <louis at van-belle.nl> Wed, 18 Oct 2017 11:18:26 +0000
samba (2:4.7.0+dfsg-1) experimental; urgency=medium
* New major upstream version
- Update d/gbp.conf and d/watch for 4.7
- Update patches
- Remove no_build_env.patch, no more needed
- Remove 4 patches merged upstream
- Bump build-depends ldb >= 2:1.2.2~, tdb >= 1.3.14~, tevent >= 0.9.33~
- Move replace from builtin to bundled libraries to fix FTBFS
- Update d/*.install
- Update symbols
* Rework all patches for dep5 and "gbp pq"
* Add libjansson-dev to Build-Depends to allow logging in JSON format
* Lintian fixes:
- build-depends: dh-systemd (>= 1.5) => use debhelper (>= 9.20160709)
- Move libsmbclient-dev from priority extra to optional
- Standards-Version: 4.1.1
- Update samba-libs.lintian-overrides (following libsmbldap bump)
-- Mathieu Parent <sathieu at debian.org> Thu, 12 Oct 2017 22:09:19 +0200
The current packages in my apt (http://apt.van-belle.nl)
Package list : http://apt.van-belle.nl/current-packages-in-stretch-unstable-apt.txt
The long setup with a new server, you can use the howtos.
The Quick Setup, if you have a server running.
echo "deb http://apt.van-belle.nl/debian stretch-unstable main contrib non-free" | sudo tee -a /etc/apt/sources.list.d/van-belle.list
wget -O - http://apt.van-belle.nl/louis-van-belle.gpg-key.asc | apt-key add -
New installs, just apt-get install ( minimal )
AD-DC : samba winbind
Member: samba winbind
Upgrade, use: apt-get dist-upgrade
New, extra, packages wil be installed.
Usefull systemctl commands you might need to know.
# the debian defaults.
# Disable the samba defaults (mostly standalone/NT4-PDC settings )
systemctl disable samba smbd nmbd winbind
systemctl mask samba smbd nmbd winbind
# Enable samba-ad-dc
systemctl unmask samba-ad-dc
systemctl enable samba-ad-dc
# Check with :
systemctl status samba-ad-dc
# Samba Member settings.
# Disable samba but enable smbd nmbd winbind
systemctl disable samba
systemctl mask samba
systemctl unmask smbd nmbd winbind
systemctl enable smbd nmbd winbind
# Check with :
systemctl status smbd nmbd winbind
If you have problems of some kind.
Get this debug script, this really helps in detecting problem with settings.
And post the content IN the email, attachments will be stripped from the samba list.
Please post to the list, so everybody learns from it :-)
More information about the samba