[Samba] Do Unix extensions still work with SMB3?

Adam Nielsen a.nielsen at shikadi.net
Sun Oct 15 00:45:02 UTC 2017

> > Quick question - does Samba server still support Unix extensions when
> > connecting over SMB3?
>
> FYI, when we do finalize the UNIX extensions, at least for
> the Samba implementation, we're not going to allow clients
> to create "real" symlinks on the server - only SMB-followable
> symlinks. Allowing clients to create real server symlinks as
> in SMB1 UNIX extensions has been a long-term security disaster.

Thanks for the info.  Will there be a utility to convert existing
server-side symlinks into SMB-style symlinks, so that upgrading the
server won't break existing symlinks?  Or at least a server-side command
to create SMB symlinks so you can script the change with `find -type l`?

Thanks also Rowland for the quick answer.

Cheers,
Adam.