[Samba] Do Unix extensions still work with SMB3?

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Sat Oct 14 18:37:10 UTC 2017

On Sat, Oct 14, 2017 at 07:08:48PM +1000, Adam Nielsen via samba wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Quick question - does Samba server still support Unix extensions when
> connecting over SMB3?
>
> My Linux client recently got upgraded to a CIFS module version that uses
> SMB3 by default, and since then I lost the ability to create symlinks
> on my CIFS shares.  Running "mount" shows the share mounted with the
> "nounix" option.  If I follow the advice in dmesg and add the mount
> option "vers=1.0" to return to SMB1, then Unix extensions are enabled
> and symlinks work fine.

FYI, when we do finalize the UNIX extensions, at least for
the Samba implementation, we're not going to allow clients
to create "real" symlinks on the server - only SMB-followable
symlinks. Allowing clients to create real server symlinks as
in SMB1 UNIX extensions has been a long-term security disaster.

Cheers,

	Jeremy.