[Samba] RSAT Print Management won't show shared printers underthe "Printers" section

L.P.H. van Belle belle at bazuin.nl
Thu Oct 12 12:04:38 UTC 2017

Hai Thomas,

Thanks for figuring that out and reporting back. First i go install the latest update again.
Then i'll go check again against your findings. I think i waited to short with the KB installed.
But as said, i'll go try that again.
.... And done, and great, you totaly right about that his worked with the KB. It only takes more time.
Almost exact 15min. And everything works as it should.

And i hope Marc or Rowland, can give a good comment on the paramaters set what i show here.
Now, i do beleave that you make the right direction, and solved a problem by settting a wrong setting.  ;-)
And that somehow fixed you problem.

> I activated WINS on the DC.
wins support = yes    , but if i read man smb.conf : wins support.
it stats, This boolean controls if the nmbd(8) process in Samba will act as a WINS server.
but nmbd is not started in an AD DC.

local master = yes
This option allows nmbd(8)  ..   see above. AD DC no nmbd.
preferred master...  see above. AD DC no nmbd.

If you took the settings you found for my example thats ok, but, i have a other server setup as master browser.
in that config i have this part . ( my file server with the profiles and user home )

    # set master browser for the network.
    # preffered + domain master = guarantee master browser ( man smb.conf )
    preferred master = yes
    domain master = yes

    interfaces = 192.168.0.2 127.0.0.1
    bind interfaces only = yes
    dns proxy = yes
    wins support = yes

The combination of these parameters,should be set on a member server since nmbd is started there.

Nw the dns proxy = yes settings.
Specifies that nmbd(8) when acting as a WINS server and finding that a NetBIOS name has not
been registered, should treat the NetBIOS name word-for-word as a DNS name.

Now if you going it reinstall this all, then i suggest, do have a look at my howtos.
l'll try to add my print server config today or tomorrow. ( but already here on the list also ),
its basicly a snap of the member (fileserver) howto, but with some changes in both member for
the wins and master browser setup. ) and the needed packages for cups etc.

Greetz,

Louis