[Samba] Samba Packages

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Tue Oct 10 07:20:23 UTC 2017

On Mon, 9 Oct 2017 20:32:30 -0400
Nico Kadel-Garcia via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 9, 2017 at 8:23 AM, Gaiseric Vandal via samba
> <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:
> > I am running Solaris 11, which includes samba 4.4.14.    The
> > packaging method has changed from Solaris 10, and you need a
> > support contract to register the system for the latest version.   I
> > have no idea if Solaris 10 includes samba 4.x.
>
> Given the shutdown of Sun Microsystems in 2010, and the lagging
> support for newer core libraries in Solaris, I think Rowland can
> *really* hurt himself trying to backport contemporary releases to
> Solaris. If you really need such a hobby, enjoy, but I anticipate a
> lot of difficulty backporting the dependencies to an operating system
> in the constant throws of rewriting the licenses. (I refer to Oracle's
> back and forth licensing on Solaris, *none* of with are a clear open
> source or free software license.)

I am not the OP, I will not be trying to build Samba on Sparc, I just
laid out the options for the OP. I did this because the OP never told
us what he requires.
I agree that building Samba on Solaris 11 is likely to be hard, if not
impossible, but I will not be trying it, mainly because my Sparc boxes
are languishing in the back of a cupboard.

> Rowland, if possible, turn this around. Let the Solaris server mount
> CIFS from the Windows server and write to it, rather than trying to
> set up a server on an operating system that is akwward to support.

Do you want to point this at the OP and not me ;-)

> I say this as one of the early publishers of Samba builds and tools
> for SunOS. As much as I liked SunOS as a server back in the day, it
> got..... weird out there after Solaris and the switch to AT&T style
> UNIX came along.

Solaris always was a bit weird, especially if you were used to Linux.

Rowland