[Samba] Samba Packages

Nico Kadel-Garcia nkadel at gmail.com
Tue Oct 10 00:32:30 UTC 2017

On Mon, Oct 9, 2017 at 8:23 AM, Gaiseric Vandal via samba
<samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:
> I am running Solaris 11, which includes samba 4.4.14.    The packaging
> method has changed from Solaris 10, and you need a support contract to
> register the system for the latest version.   I have no idea if Solaris 10
> includes samba 4.x.

Given the shutdown of Sun Microsystems in 2010, and the lagging
support for newer core libraries in Solaris, I think Rowland can
*really* hurt himself trying to backport contemporary releases to
Solaris. If you really need such a hobby, enjoy, but I anticipate a
lot of difficulty backporting the dependencies to an operating system
in the constant throws of rewriting the licenses. (I refer to Oracle's
back and forth licensing on Solaris, *none* of with are a clear open
source or free software license.)

> I think to configure or rebuild Samba on Solaris 11 as an AD Directory
> Server/Domain controller would be difficult, since Solaris does not include
> the Heimdal version of Kerberos. Solaris 11 also includes its own SMB
> implementation, which I have not tried out yet, but is probably simple
> enough if you are configuring as a client.

Right. I urge him not to do unnecessary work. I do see some packages
at https://www.opencsw.org/package/samba/ that might be useful

> On 10/09/17 07:21, Rowland Penny via samba wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, 9 Oct 2017 11:12:26 +0000
>> "Mogane, Ratanang Johannes, Vodacom South Africa (External)"
>> <Ratanang.Mogane at vcontractor.co.za> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Rowland,
>>>
>>> I would like Sparc Server to have SAMBA installed. I have a Windows
>>> platform that runs checks and calculates statistics but it requires
>>> data from Sparc server in order to do this.
>>>
>> Yes, but what do want to set the 'server' up as ?
>> You can set up Samba as a:
>> standalone server
>> NT4-style PDC (not recommended, at least by myself)
>> AD DC
>> Windows ADS client
>>
>> What version of Samba are the packages for ?
>>
>> What version of Windows are you connecting to ?
>>
>> Rowland

Rowland, if possible, turn this around. Let the Solaris server mount
CIFS from the Windows server and write to it, rather than trying to
set up a server on an operating system that is akwward to support.

I say this as one of the early publishers of Samba builds and tools
for SunOS. As much as I liked SunOS as a server back in the day, it
got..... weird out there after Solaris and the switch to AT&T style
UNIX came along.