[Samba] RSAT Print Management won't show shared printers under the "Printers" section

Marc Muehlfeld mmuehlfeld at samba.org
Sun Oct 8 16:02:50 UTC 2017

Hi Thomas,

Am 08.10.2017 um 17:42 schrieb Thomas Keppler:
> Fiddled some more with Windows 10 and that works, too. Windows 7
> still doesn't see the printer in Print Management, not even on
> a second, freshly installed client.>
> I have set up the printer now from Windows 8.1 and
> configured some printer preferences and installed the printer
> on a Windows 7 client. That works.> However, I would really like to
configure the
> printer form Windows 7, if that's possible.

I can confirm that the printers aren't listed in the Printer Management
console on Windows 7 in my test environment, but it works as expected on
8.1 and 10. I've tested it with Samba 4.7.0 on the print server.

It seems like a bug or maybe an incompatibility introduced by a recent
Windows 7 update.

Can you please open a bug report against Samba 4.7 (see
https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Bug_Reporting) and include the
information from this thread and a level 10 debug log. Thanks.

As a workaround, on Win 7 you can still assign drivers without using the
Print Management console:
- Start / Run
- Enter \\print_server_name\, click "OK"
- Press the "View remote printers" button
There you can right-click to printers and manage them same as in the
console. Win7 was the last version where you can manage printer this
way. Anyway, please open the bug report.

Regards,
Marc