[Samba] Join a subdomain DC to a domain DC

Elias Pereira empbilly at gmail.com
Tue Nov 14 23:32:17 UTC 2017

> If your main domain is 'example.com' and you use 'ad.example.com' as a
>
> dns subdomain of 'example.com', the Samba DC would be authoritative
>
> for 'ad.example.com', the AD clients would use the DC as their
>
> nameserver for the domain and anything unknown by the DC (google for
>
> instance, or anything in the 'example.com' domain) would be forwarded
>
> to the 'example.com' DNS server.

Ok. I get it now. That's exactly what I want to do. :D

I thought I could join this new DC with the old one, transfer the fsmo
roles and demote, but now you said that this is not viable. :(

The big problem is that we already have users in this DC and in addition
this DC is a fileserver too. Now it got worse, isn't it Rowland? :(

On Tue, Nov 14, 2017 at 8:25 PM, Rowland Penny via samba <
samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> On Tue, 14 Nov 2017 20:07:38 -0200
> Elias Pereira via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:
>

> > > Does nobody read the Samba wiki ???
> > >

> > What??? Samba has a wiki ??? *Bazinga *:D
>
> Yes, you will find it here:
>
> https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Main_Page
>

> > As far as I am aware, AD subdomains do not work correctly with Samba
> > AD.
> > >
> > > What you have done with the new DC, is what you should have done in
> > > the
> > >
> > > first place, created a subdomain of your main dns domain and used
> > > this
> > >
> > > for the AD dns domain and realm.
> > >

> > I started in this job now and it was already set up in this way. :(
>
> And you are left to pick up the pieces ;-)
>

> > I think you have two options here and I don't think you are going to
> >
> > like either ;-)
> >

> > > Shut down your main DNS server and then use the Samba dns servers
> > > for
> >
> > everything in the domain, or
> >

> > I think this option is not viable!!!
>
> Didn't think it was
>

> > start again with your new DC and DNS
> >
> > subdomain.
> >

> > DNS subdomain? Why?
>
> If your main domain is 'example.com' and you use 'ad.example.com' as a
> dns subdomain of 'example.com', the Samba DC would be authoritative
> for 'ad.example.com', the AD clients would use the DC as their
> nameserver for the domain and anything unknown by the DC (google for
> instance, or anything in the 'example.com' domain) would be forwarded
> to the 'example.com' DNS server.
>
> Rowland
>

> --

Elias Pereira