[Samba] Join a subdomain DC to a domain DC

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Tue Nov 14 22:25:31 UTC 2017

On Tue, 14 Nov 2017 20:07:38 -0200
Elias Pereira via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> > Does nobody read the Samba wiki ???
> >

> What??? Samba has a wiki ??? *Bazinga *:D

Yes, you will find it here:

https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Main_Page

> As far as I am aware, AD subdomains do not work correctly with Samba
> AD.
> >
> > What you have done with the new DC, is what you should have done in
> > the
> >
> > first place, created a subdomain of your main dns domain and used
> > this
> >
> > for the AD dns domain and realm.
> >

> I started in this job now and it was already set up in this way. :(

And you are left to pick up the pieces ;-)

> I think you have two options here and I don't think you are going to
>
> like either ;-)
>

> > Shut down your main DNS server and then use the Samba dns servers
> > for
>
> everything in the domain, or
>

> I think this option is not viable!!!

Didn't think it was

> start again with your new DC and DNS
>
> subdomain.
>

> DNS subdomain? Why?

If your main domain is 'example.com' and you use 'ad.example.com' as a
dns subdomain of 'example.com', the Samba DC would be authoritative
for 'ad.example.com', the AD clients would use the DC as their
nameserver for the domain and anything unknown by the DC (google for
instance, or anything in the 'example.com' domain) would be forwarded
to the 'example.com' DNS server.

Rowland